Background on The Hopper
We’re an incubator focused on tech, named after the legendary computer scientist Grace Hopper. We’re a diverse group of people who believe in helping entrepreneurs make their ideas a startup reality. We help with ideation, incubation and acceleration at the seed and pre-seed stage - depending on the need of each business.
Our focus is on supporting female entrepreneurs
because we believe in equality of access and recognise that female-founded
startups are severely underfunded. Ultimately, though, we’re about fuelling
growth - so we welcome ideas from anyone, no matter how they identify.
We’re here to Do New Things - which means levelling the playing field
in tech for everyone.
Our culture and people
We’ve worked hard to create a special mix of humans that can launch and nurture the tech unicorns of tomorrow. In the spirit of Grace Hopper, our approach is about being smart, proactive and a bit left-field.
We work in an agile, collaborative way and trust
each other to challenge, adapt and perfect our ideas as we go. It’s an
environment where ambitious, forward-thinking people can achieve great things.
And, just as we keep an open mind when it comes
to the startups we work with, so we do with anyone looking to join our team.
Check out our Instagram to find out more about us.
About the role
You will be an experienced hands on technologist, capable of working with multiple technology and business units to identify and develop growth and innovation opportunities. You will be an integral part of our drive towards collaboration, creativity and innovation. You will be the fulcrum of our mission to Do New Things.
You will work closely with business and technology teams to ensure that proposed technical solutions align with objectives, and also ensure that both groups enable and drive each other to meet our growth mission. You will play an integral role in building a holistic view and roadmap of technology strategy, processes and technology roadmaps.
You will be experienced in working in a fast paced, multi-stakeholder environment, with the ability to think both analytically and strategically, with the confidence to challenge senior stakeholders where necessary. At the core of what you do will be your ability to build strong relationships, assimilate and analyse information and collaborate with those around you to help deliver effective business outcomes.
Your ambition to succeed and mindset is as important as experience. We are fixated on growth and success in the role will be driven by your ability to maintain a ruthless focus on things that matter. The successful candidate will need to be comfortable working independently, collaborating with teams in various locations, time zones and managing a portfolio of concurrent projects.
What you’ll do
- Provide technical leadership, direction and governance to our teams
- Work closely with the product development teams to identify suitable architecture/technical solutions for various initiatives and projects
- Identify and own delivery of non-functional requirements such as Extensibility, Reusability, Performance, Scalability and Security
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering Teams to enforce architecture, development standards and best practice
- Act as an advocate and evangelist for technologies and following best practice, including coaching, mentoring and leadership
- Promote shared infrastructure, frameworks, services and applications to reduce cost and improve information flow
- Follow a suitably lean process for identifying, documenting and handing over architecture to product and development teams
- Pro-actively drive innovation with new ideas and opportunities made available through new technologies
- Develop and maintain a compelling strategic technical vision for the products you work on that is aligned to our OKR’s
- Evaluate technology acquisitions identifying potential value and use-cases across our organization
- Work on proof of concepts or technical prototypes to validate or prove out new ideas with a view to turn these into MVP products
What you’ll bring
- Ability to “think big” and challenge conventional wisdom regarding technology refresh and hype
- A “polyglot” experienced with multiple programming languages and associated technologies
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills with business and technical groups
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus among many stakeholders
- Comfortable with ambiguity and willing to take principled bets on new technology
- Ability to establish, implement, and enforce appropriate IT standards to meet business requirements
- Relationship-building: listen, build rapport, and credibility as a strategic partner vertically within the business unit, as well as with leadership and functional teams
- Energy, focus, assertiveness, and diplomacy: knowing when to push an agenda and when to let a situation develop, rest, or advance
- Highly developed communication skills
- Emotional intelligence and empathy
- Accept ownership
What's in it for you
Our Inventors enjoy…
- Private medical insurance
- Pension plan
- A range of benefits to choose from
- Learning and training opportunities to keep skills sharp
- Season ticket loan
- Six weeks’ paid leave for every four years of service
- Flexibility of working from home or in the office to stay both safe and collaborative
- Flexible working hours, wellbeing programmes and growth opportunities
- Team building events, learning labs and Hackathons/Designathons
- Opportunity to shape the tech community inside and outside of The Hopper via mentoring and sharing knowledge with others