Background on The Hopper
We’re an incubator focused on tech, named after the legendary computer scientist Grace Hopper. We’re a diverse group of people who believe in helping entrepreneurs make their ideas a startup reality. We help with ideation, incubation and acceleration at the seed and pre-seed stage - depending on the need of each business.
Our focus is on supporting female entrepreneurs because we believe in equality of access and recognise that female-founded startups are severely underfunded. Ultimately, though, we’re about fuelling growth - so we welcome ideas from anyone, no matter how they identify.
We’re here to Do New Things - which means levelling the playing field in tech for everyone.
Our culture and people
We’ve worked hard to create a special mix of humans that can launch and nurture the tech unicorns of tomorrow. In the spirit of Grace Hopper, our approach is about being smart, proactive and a bit left-field.
We work in an agile, collaborative way and trust each other to challenge, adapt and perfect our ideas as we go. It’s an environment where ambitious, forward-thinking people can achieve great things.
And, just as we keep an open mind when it comes to the startups we work with, so we do with anyone looking to join our team.
Check out our Instagram to find out more about us.
About the role
Based in The Hopper’s Brand, Marketing and Communications (‘BMC’) team, reporting to the Director of the function and working closely with the Head of Sales, this position will play a fundamental role in bringing-to-life the commercial ambitions of the organisation and its constituent businesses.
- defining, developing and activating our long-term performance marketing strategy and activities; own specific metrics and commercial goals for the business
- management of digital accounts and diversifying the channel mix using paid social channels
- maximising the returns on our paid media and driving increased profitability and acquisition for the group
- setting-up, managing, and optimising campaigns to display ads and retarget them across verticals, e.g. SEM, display advertising, social media, affiliate marketing, content discovery platforms, etc.
- continually modifying and opimtising marketing activities to ensure continually improving ROI
- advising on and allocating digital marketing budgets, constantly analysing spend and recommending modifications as necessary to ensure optimisation.
What you’ll do:
- Understand the product offering and research competitors, including their strategies, to find gaps in the industry and accordingly set up marketing and advertising goals for organisation’s offering
- Planning and executing paid media campaigns across platforms including LinkedIn, Instagram and Google and other affiliate partners; manage relationships with these partners.
- Source and implement the most effective keywords, measure keyword performance and optimise campaigns based on them
- Create dashboards and tooling that drives testing and iteration across our organisation
- Produce proposals and supporting business cases to justify the ongoing investments in new marketing approaches; allocate budgets and analyse and recommend modifications to ad spends
- Build strong, lasting relationships with current and new partners and suppliers.
- Manage ad placements, target the relevant interests and topics and use Google’s in-market audiences for search ads.
- Direct and manage agency performance on various channels to achieve goals and ROI targets
- Adjust strategies through evaluation of KPIs of all existing marketing channels to determine and make necessary adjustments, ensuring marketing effectiveness.
- Optimise channel performance through a data-led test and learn approach; identify pain points to creatively improve non-performing areas
- Continually explore customer data and leverage insights to better segment, target and reach potential customers and reveal current and future trends; Optimise channel performance through a data-led test and learn approach
- Staying up-to-date on changing market conditions, competitors and new technology, standards and industry direction etc
- Continually work to identify efficiencies and smarter ways of working; establish standards and new processes that ensure best practice in the company’s performance marketing activities
What you'll bring
- You will have proven experience in the performance marketing space, with demonstration of campaign deliveries across multiple platforms, buisnesses, regions and sectors that have added direct, tangible and measurable commercial value to B2B businesses and impacted ROI. Experience in a startup environment, or other rapidly evolving business, may be an advantage.
- Considerable expertise in paid search, paid social and display is a fundamental requirement, combined with the ability to recognise trends and patterns in data, leading to campaign recommendations and ajustments in marketing strategies.
- Strong analytical skills and a methodical, data-driven approach to problem-solving and gleaning insights are further musts for this role, with:
- working knowledge of analytics and database tools such as Excel, Google Analytics, Tableau, Marketo, etc. and performance marketing platforms, such as Social Animal, HubSpot, GetSocial, BuzzSumo
- Knowledge and prior usage of tools like Facebook Ad Manager, AdWords, Taboola, Outbrain
- Exposure to data visualization and reporting tools, such as Tableau, is a plus and experience with Google Adwords is a bonus
Further required competencies:
- An agile, adaptable and highly collaborative approach to working, underpinned with enthusiasm to learn about the overall business
- Curiosity, energy, tenacity, initiative and drive to efficiently implement work to a very high standard
- A highly analytical and decisive thinker and creative problem solver, with a track record of hitting and reporting on KPIs and driving company growth
- Superb relationship-building and stakeholder management skills
- An ambitious, “can-do” attitude to delivering solutions, managing projects and the demands of stakeholders
- Exceptional communication skills: ability to clearly, diplomatically and persuasively articulate your views in person, in writing and on screen to colleagues at all levels of seniority
- Highly organised, with ability to manage time, prioritise work and coordinate concurrently numerous stakeholders and projects
- Ability to think and act quickly, clearly and decisively
- Proven experience of working effectively with globally distributed stakeholders
- Experience of managing direct reports will be an advantage
- A superb eye for detail, combined too with an ability to deliver against strategic goals.
What's in it for you
· Private medical insurance
· Pension plan
· Range of benefits to choose from
· Learning and training opportunities to keep skills sharp
· Season ticket loan
· Six weeks’ paid leave for every four years of service
· Flexibility of working from home or in the office to stay both safe and collaborative
· Flexible working hours, wellbeing programs and growth opportunities
· Team building events, learning labs and Hackathons/ Designathons
· Opportunity to shape the tech community inside and outside of The Hopper via mentoring and sharing knowledge with others