Background on The Hopper
We’re an incubator focused on tech, named after the legendary computer scientist Grace Hopper. We’re a diverse group of people who believe in helping entrepreneurs make their ideas a startup reality. We help with ideation, incubation and acceleration at the seed and pre-seed stage - depending on the need of each business. At our heart is the ambition to Do New Things.
Our culture and people
We’ve worked hard to create a special mix of humans that can launch and nurture the tech unicorns of tomorrow. In the spirit of Grace Hopper, our approach is about being smart, proactive and a bit left-field. We work in an agile, collaborative way and trust each other to challenge, adapt and perfect our ideas as we go. It’s an environment where ambitious, forward-thinking people can achieve great things.
And, just as we keep an open mind when it comes to the startups we work with, so we do with anyone looking to join our team. Check out our Instagram to find out more about us.
About the role
The Hopper’s Brand Marketing and Communications (‘BMC’) team works in partnership with its internal clients to provide and deliver exceptional marketing comms solutions, tools and assets that enable their growth ambitions. Creativity and excellence are at the centre of our work.
Based in this team, and reporting to the Director of BMC, this key position will:
- Manage the function’s overall marketing operations, ensuring a coordinated and efficient project pipeline and prioritisation, removing roadblocks where necessary
- Optimise and improve marketing comms processes and associated tooling for the team
- Coordinate between project stakeholders and creative colleagues, handling briefings and allocating resources to ensure projects are on track and deadlines met
- Manage and keep up-to-date information on project tracking and project management tools and platforms
- Provide regular reporting to the Director of BMC and further management within The Hopper.
With the goal of delivering project operational excellence, this exciting ‘Traffic Manager’ type role requires superb all-round strategic and tactical skills in the areas of project and account management, underpinned by marketing communications knowledge and experience, and superb people skills.
A smart, highly-organised individual with a ‘can-do’ mindset will thrive in our organisation and this role will provide a superb opportunity to understand the overall business and its ambitions.
The role will:
- o Own and drive overall BMC project operations, including managing the function’s project pipeline, prioritisation and associated planning, tooling and reporting (60%)
- Provide strategic recommendations on further required tooling and operational efficiencies for the function (15%)
- Support the Director of BMC and other senior BMC colleagues in key project briefings and scoping, and associated communication with stakeholders (15%)
- Advise on future internal and external resourcing requirements, coordinating assessment and on-boarding of further external vendors, working with Procurement (5%)
- o Support in assessing the marketing comms capabilities and tooling in companies being considered for acquisition by (and integration into) the group (5%).
Key competencies and expertise:
- Excellent skills in all-round marketing communications’ solutions delivery, ideally from an agency background and potentially from a project ‘Traffic Manager’ role
- An adaptable, highly collaborative and agile approach to working, underpinned with superb relationship-building and stakeholder management skills
- Highly organised, with ability to manage time, prioritise work and concurrently coordinate numerous projects and stakeholders
- An ambitious, ‘can-do’ attitude to delivering solutions, managing projects and stakeholders’ demands; enthusiasm to learn about the overall business
- Calmness under pressure and consistent clarity of thinking and language
- A creative thinker – ability to translate verbal concepts and briefs in to effective solutions
- Curiosity, energy, tenacity, initiative and drive to deliver work to a very high standard
- Exceptional communication skills: ability to clearly articulate views in person, writing and presentation to colleagues at all levels of the organisation
- Experienced at working with and directing creative professionals and their output, with the required diplomacy, empathy and pragmatism
- Familiarity with tools (like Marketo or HubSpot) will be advantageous, as will experience gained in the areas of technology, gaming, mobile apps and digital entertainment
- An outstanding eye for detail, alongside an ability to deliver against ‘big picture’ strategic goals
- Ability to think and act quickly, clearly and decisively
- Strong persuasion, negotiation and consensus-building skills.
The role will be located in our central London office once we return to the office.